Being erratic

Humare ghar pe logon ko baat karni chahiye, baat karna bahut important hai. Andar koi bhi cheez daba ke nahi rakhni chahiye!”

She notices everything, doesn’t she?”

I have a thing for noticing these stupid things, you know.”

Ye bahut accha luck leke chal raha hai, iska sab achha hi hoga!

These are few of the statements that are thrown in during everyday conversation at home. They strike me like glass. Patang ke maanjhe ki tarah. And I’m not sure how to react to these. Because these are said by the people I love, hold very close to my heart and can’t seem them hurting at any point of time. But at the same time I wonder. Where were these acute observational skills when Ram was shoving his dick inside me. Where was that noticing eye when I tried committing suicide, twice. Where was my luck when I could not escape Ram’s clutches?

“Why didn’t you ever tell us?”


Seriously? That’s your defence? That’s your answer to a person who has been subject to active sexual abuse for 8 years? And what have you done since the time you’ve been aware of this? You know for a fact, and say it without qualms in front of an audience, “arrey ye to bada shy hai, isko time lagta hai open up hone mein”. And yet you have never asked me how I’m doing, how I’m coping with it, whether I’ve coped with it? You preach to us and the world that families should talk, and yet you don’t address the abuse? And no, you can’t say that since I never brought it up again, so you assumed all is okay. NO. Not acceptable. Can you imagine my condition, the condition of a person who has not only been subject to abuse but attempted suicide twice? How much motivation and courage it took me (since that day) to get up, do my daily activities, with this thing constantly nagging me?  And sometimes continues to do so? And do my parents really think I’m fine? Why have they never asked me the right questions? Why have they never addressed the past with me. Talking to Didi about it is not the answer to these questions. I need to be talked to. The onus isn’t and shouldn’t be on me. I am not my parent. YOU ARE.


I can’t explain why these things come up the way they do. And when they do. And why. They just do. They came up when we were on our trip around the hills. I teared up on the way to the hotel. No one noticed then. They came up when we were in the hotel, sipping alcohol. I was incredibly quiet. No one noticed then too. I am not seeking attention, these are not deliberate or pre-meditated reactions. They happen. They just do. I am just very surprised as to how the incredible observational skills conveniently ignore these reactions. I guess, they just do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Spoils (II)

Unlikely City

Love Spoils