I hate the hero

A significant portion of my day is spent watching tv shows and movies. Either on one of the streaming platforms or on a pirated streaming website. More than anything, I just love watching something. It's the act of watching a show or a film or even a YouTube video that gives me immense pleasure. I marvel at the creation of such things, or at least that's the motivation behind binge watching so many of these shows. However one trait that I just cant make peace with (however much my friends try) is a character (who's usually the protagonist) who does nothing in terms of self development but relies on the mercy of others to make things right. And usually it's a cis-white-straight-male. Ugh. An annoying combination anyway.

Why do show creators force feed a sympathy arc for such douchebags? Why should I feel anything for a character who's unnecessarily mean to his mother, trashes the house in an unplanned party, insults his ex girlfriend and potential partner at the same event and then attempts to therapize his mother about the actual reason why SHE is behaving THE WAY SHE IS. And then expects things to be alright once he apologises? Oh because that's the only expectation people have from such entitled little pricks. Yuck, what an absolute piece of shit. (Yes, looking at you, Otis. Fuck off.)

And sorry, I'm not rooting for a character whose actions are sought to be justified by a forced narrative (mostly, a late realization by the show creators and writers) shown in flashback with absolutely no hints AT ALL till that point of time. I am not going to be suddenly believe that he has an intense after effects of some trauma which has not been referred to in any way. What happened to Easter eggs, you idiots.

And even if you HAVE to retain such characters, please dont make them protagonists. Have them playing out their entitlement in the background somewhere where they can sit and rot. Yuck, I'm so angry. 

Anyway, this rant shall continue in another post. Because there are so many protagonists I want to bitch the fuck about. Till then, I HATE THE HERO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Spoils (II)

Love Spoils

Oh god, fuck me